Depending on the task, the Task Options Wizard opens a dialog box that prompts you to select the computers you want to include in a task. This dialog box can be populated or blank, depending on your method for launching the task.
The primary selections in this dialog box include:
After you complete the Computer Selection options, click Next to configure the Scheduling and Notification Options.
Click Add computers in the Task Options Wizard to open the Add Computer dialog box. This dialog box prompts you to enter information about your targeted computer.
- In the Computer Name field, enter the computer name and click Resolve to auto-fill the remaining fields. If your DNS is set up correctly, clicking Resolve populates the remaining fields.
- In the Domain/Workgroup field, enter the domain or workgroup for the selected computer.
- In the Hostname or FDQN field, enter the hostname or Fully Qualified Domain Name (FDQN) for the selected computer.
- (Active Directory computers) In the Canonical Name field, enter the canonical name used in Active Directory.
- In the IP address field, enter the IP address of the selected computer.
- Click the Operating System Version drop-down menu and select the version number.
- Click Add to continue.
Click Browse computers in the Task Options Wizard to display the Select Computer dialog box. Use this dialog box to select computers from the WSUS Server groups, Active Directory domains and organizational units, workgroups, and Patch Manager computer groups.
- In the navigation pane, select the container with the computers you want to add.
- Select the individual computers you want to add. Press <Ctrl> to select multiple computers.
- Add one or more computers to the bottom-right pane.
- Click Add selected to add the selected computer(s).
- Click Select all and add to add all of the computers.
- Click Enter the object to add in the bottom-right pane to launch the Add Computer dialog box and manually enter objects to add.
The computers are added to the bottom right pane.
Click Select computers using rules in the Task Options Wizard to open the Computer Select Rule Management dialog box. Use this dialog box to select or define a computer selection rule to apply when the task runs.
The computer selection rules are based on the following container types:
- Active Directory Domain or Workgroup
- Active Directory Organizational Unit
- WSUS Computer Group
- Patch Manager Computer Group
After you select a container, specify the types of computers you want to add using a computer filter option.
The following table lists the additional options included on the Computer Selection page.
|Remove||Removes the selected computers.|
|Remove All||Removes all computers from the Computer Selection dialog box.|
|Change Domain / Workgroup||Changes the Domain/Workgroup value for the computers highlighted in the Computer Selection dialog box.|
|Change canonical path||Changes the absolute unique path (canonical path) for the computers highlighted in the Computer Selection dialog box.|
|New Patch Manager Computer Group||Opens the Patch Manager Computer Group Management window. Use this option to define a new Patch Manager Computer Group that contains the selected computers.|