Papertrail supports single sign-on via SAML 2.0 integration. SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language) is an industry standard used to provide single sign-on (SSO) by authenticating against a particular identity provider (IdP). Users can log into their Active Directory domain or intranet and have immediate access to Papertrail.
When SSO is enabled, users must authenticate against IdP, except the owner, which can also log in with a service account.
Access to SAML is currently controlled by a feature flag. To begin, please email us at email@example.com.
This feature is only available to the account owner. It can be configured via the Security section under the Account page. To start configuring SAML, click the Enable SAML button.
It will open the SAML configuration page below.
To create a SAML configuration:
- Enter the three URLs displayed in the SSO Service URLs section into your Identity Provider (IdP).
- Enter the following information from the Identity Provider into this screen:
- Issuer (Entity ID)
- SAML URL
- Single Logout URL (optional)
- Identity Provider Certificate
- Save the configuration.
- Once the configuration has been saved, it can be enabled using the "switch" in the upper right corner, which will log out all users, except the owner.
- Users can now login (and authenticate) either via the IdP or the dedicated login screen (see The SSO Login screen below).
For a user to be able to use IdP initiated login, set the NameID attribute to user.email value. The user must be known to the provider and exist in Papertrail, Pingdom or AppOptics.
From this page, the owner can then:
- Edit or remove SAML configuration
- Disable and re-enable SAML integration using the "switch" in the upper right corner
If SAML integration is disabled, users who existed prior to SAML was enabled should use their original password. Users added via SAML will have to perform a password reset, because they would've never set a password yet.
The owner can invite new users known to the IdP into the SAML enabled organization. Note that existing members cannot be invited.
This feature does not support the following:
- Integrating an organization with SAML IdP where one or more member is a member of another organization
- Inviting a new user that is already a member of another organization
- Enabling SAML integration for additional organizations authenticated against one IdP
The SSO login screen for Papertrail can be accessed from the standard login screen.
To log in, only the organization member's email address is required.
Please note that SSO configuration can vary between Identity Providers. The following list provides links to the appropriate IdP documentation: