Papertrail Release Notes
These release notes describe the new features, improvements, and fixed issues in Papertrail.
December 2020: SAML Single Sign-on Enhancements
We updated the SAML single sign-on capabilities to expedite user management:
- Group Mapping: Group mapping allows you to define organization and product roles, as well as grant access to logs and billing plans, based on the account's IdP group membership. Members added to an IdP group will automatically gain access to any organization or product roles mapped to that group.
Service Accounts: Service accounts allow users to log in to Papertrail with either their SAML login or their SolarWinds Unified Login account's username and password.
October 2020: Logging from Kubernetes Clusters via rKubelog
With Papertrail and the new rKubelog solution, you can quickly and easily implement logging for applications running in Kubernetes clusters. Since rKubelog does not require DaemonSets, sidecars, fluentd or persistent claims, it's one of the only solutions for logging in nodeless clusters, such as EKS on Fargate. But it's also perfect for smaller, local development clusters to setup logging within seconds.
August 2020: Color Theme Updates
New color themes were added to complement our new navigation and provide a new, fresh look to the Papertrail experience. The Solarized and Solarized Light color themes can be accessed in the display preferences.
July 2020: HTTP Connection Support
Papertrail now supports sending logs via HTTP with a quick and easy setup. When creating a new Log Destination, select to Accept connections via a Token. The new destination uses a provided token for the authentication of POST requests when sending events and can accept single or newline delimited events formatted in plaintext or JSON.
June 2020: SAML 2.0 and UTC Toggles
- SolarWinds® Papertrail™ now supports SAML v2.0, which allows you to log into your Active Directory domain or intranet and have immediate access to Papertrail, with no additional login required. The new SAML support also enables you to enforce user identity verification policies.
- A new toggle option was introduced in the display preferences to show timestamps with in UTC time, or the default timezone.
December 2019: Streamlined Navigation and Tri-state Display Options
- In response to customer feedback, we streamlined the navigation and tucked it into the top bar. This change lets the logs message fill the entire screen width and lets you see more of the log message, with less scrolling.
- A new tri-state display option was added to the display preferences to show or hide details of the event message and whether to collapse or expand the event message. These display options determine what is copied, shared, or sent to other devices.
November 2019: Context Menu and Viewer Optimizations
- In response to customer feedback, the context menu was moved back to the left side of the log message. A three-dot menu button was added to easily locate the log line context menu and event actions.
- To maximize your screen real estate and reduce scrolling, an option was added to the display preferences to hide the application chrome, which displays the event viewer in presentation mode.
October 2019: Display Preferences
The Papertrail user experience was upgraded and customization options were added:
- the user interface was reorganized and mobile experience was cleaned up.
- a new header and navigation were adopted to provide a smoother transition when switching between other SolarWinds® APM products.
- the visual appearance of the log lines can be customized from the footer of the event viewer itself.
- new color themes were designed to meet or exceed Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
September 2019: New Event Viewer
The Papertrail event viewer was rebuilt from the ground up, with a focus on updating and modernizing the entire experience. With this new event viewer, you get:
- major improvements in usability and performance.
- more options to customize the event viewer screen, including multiple themes, font and line spacing.
- improved spacing that is easier on the eyes.
© 2021 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.