Create pollers in Device Studio for the Orion Platform
This Orion Platform topic applies only to the following products:
ACM — NAM — NOM — NPM
To poll unique devices or technologies not supported by default, create a custom poller.
Reduce the number of Unknown nodes by creating a custom poller.
- Click Settings > All Settings, and in the Node & Group management grouping, click Manage Pollers.
- Click Create New Poller.
- Select a polling technology, type the Poller Package Name, select a test node, and click Next.
When you are creating the poller, the test node is polled to provide a preview of the results returned by the poller.
- On the Specify Data Source tab, select a metric you want to define, and click Define Data Source.
- On the Pick Object Identifier screen, type the OID, or search the MIB database.
For information about manually defining OIDs, see Define object identifiers (OIDs) that do not exist in the SolarWinds MIB database for the Orion Platform.
- If necessary, click Add Calculated Value to transform the multiple returned values into a single value, or select a different OID.
Transforming multiple values to a single value is useful if, for example, the device returns CPU usage as a table of four values (with one value for each CPU core), but you want to use a single value for CPU usage. In this case, you can use the Average function to convert the table of values into a single value.
For more information, see What is a formula?
- In the Create a Calculated Value screen, select a function, select an input from the lists, and click Test. You can also define a constant value, for example, if you are creating a CPU and memory poller, and the device you want to poll only supports CPU values.
Continuing with the previous example, to create an average value out of the four reported values, select the Average function and specify the input values.
For more information, see Formulas used for transforming Device Studio poller results in the Orion Platform.
- After testing whether the value is as expected, click Yes, the Data Source Is Reasonable.
- To automatically test the poller on newly added nodes, select Automatically poll nodes during network discovery, and click Next. The test determines whether the Device Studio poller can be assigned to the newly added node.
- On the Summary tab, review the poller package settings, and click Submit.
The poller is now available in the list of pollers, and you can assign it to nodes.