Release date: September 28, 2016
These release notes describe the new features, improvements, and fixed issues in NetFlow Traffic Analyzer 4.2.1. They also provide information about upgrades and describe workarounds for known issues.
If you are looking for previous release notes for NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, see Previous Version documentation.
New features and improvements in NTA 4.2.1
NTA 4.2.1 offers new features and improvements compared to previous releases of NTA.
NTA 4.2.1 is a service release.
NTA 4.2.1 runs on Orion Platform 2016.2.
For features and improvements in Orion Platform 2016.2, see the Orion Platform 2016.2 Release Notes.
New customer installation
For information about installing NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, see the NTA Installation Guide.
Starting with NTA 4.2, the NTA Flow Storage Database is no longer supported on additional pollers and additional websites, and needs to be installed on a dedicated server. This includes NTA 4.2.1.
Before you upgrade
If you are upgrading from a previous version, be aware of the following considerations:
- When upgrading to NTA 4.2.1 on the same server with DPA installed, the DPAO piece causes issues with alerting.
- If you have edited resource properties, the All Groups resource may be empty after upgrading to NTA 4.2.1.
- When upgrading to NTA 4.2.1, using the group by feature for custom properties may return no results, and the data loading may hang or not complete. All regular functionality is unaffected by the issue.
- If you have written your own code, such as changing SolarWinds .css files or adding .js files, it may be overwritten with the upgrade. Learn more about custom code.
- Always upgrade NPM first if you have it installed. NPM includes platform features to support all Orion products.
- Always use the Product Upgrade Advisor to build your upgrade path.
How to upgrade
If you are upgrading from a previous version, use the following resources to plan and implement your upgrade:
- Use the Product Upgrade Advisor to determine your upgrade path. Based on your current environment and versions, the Product Upgrade Advisor provides an ordered list of how to proceed with the upgrade.
- Use the multiple products upgrade guide for upgrading NTA and other modules (NPM, SAM, NCM, etc.). Each guide includes checklists and instructions to help you plan and execute your upgrade.
- When you are ready, download the upgrade package from the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
NTA 4.2.1 fixes the following issues.
|Issues with processing NetFlow v9 from Fortigate devices.|
|1017475||After upgrade to NPM 12.0 and NTA 4.2, the NTA Flow Storage database freezes.|
See also Orion Platform Release Notes.
|Conflict with NTA and NTA Flow Storage Database on same server|
|Issue: NTA recommends installing the NTA Flow Storage Database and NTA on different servers. Gaps can occur in flow data when NTA and the NTA Flow Storage Database are installed on the same server, which can result from insufficient resources available on the server.|
|Resolution/Work-around: To resolve this conflict, move your NTA Flow Storage Database to a separate server. For more information, see the Migration Guide.|
|Agent deployment to host without a /tmp directory|
|Issue: Agent deployment may not succeed if Linux host does not have a /tmp directory.|
|Resolution/Work-around: Rerun the agent deployment to properly complete the deployment.|
|Account limitations for Windows group accounts|
|Issue: Accounts that are added as part of a Windows group account do not respect menu or view restrictions.|
|Resolution/Work-around: Individually add accounts.|
End of support
This version of NetFlow Traffic Analyzer no longer supports the following platforms and features.
|Windows Server 2003||NTA 4.2.1 no longer supports Windows Server 2003 on the server hosting the NTA installation or the NTA Flow Storage Database.|
|32-bit operating system||NTA 4.1 and later requires a 64-bit operating system.|
© 2020 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.