Install the Mobile Admin Client software on a BlackBerry smartphone
This section describes how to install, set up, upgrade, and uninstall the Mobile Admin Client software on a BlackBerry smartphone.
You can install the client software over the air or BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
If you are installing the software over the air, locate the URL for the location of the Mobile Admin Client software.
Installing using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager
If you are installing the software using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager:
- Locate the network location of the directory that contains the Mobile Admin Client software.
- Make sure the operating system for your BlackBerry smartphone is installed on the desktop computer that you will be using to install the Mobile Admin Client software.
Minimum system requirements
Make sure that the BlackBerry smartphone where you install the software meets the following requirements:
- BlackBerry smartphone with the version 5.0 operating system or higher
- At least 1MB of available memory
If you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Server to connect to your network, the MDS Connection Service should have been enabled for your user account as part of installing Mobile Admin Server. If the MDS Connection Service is not enabled, you will not be able to install or use the Mobile Admin Client. For more information about enabling the MDS Connection Service, see the Mobile Admin Server Installation and Configuration Guide.
- Open the web browser on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Open the URL for the location of the Mobile Admin Client software.
The Mobile Admin Client Installation screen displays.
The default URL for the location of the Mobile Admin Client software is http://<ServerName>:<port>, where <ServerName> is the name of the server where the Mobile Admin Server software has been installed and <port> is the port number used by Mobile Admin.
- Record the displayed server settings:
- Mobile Admin Server– the name of the network server where the Mobile Admin Server was installed
- Mobile Admin port – the port number that the Mobile Admin Server will use to communicate with your device
Connect using HTTPS – indicates whether a check box with the same name (Connect using HTTPS) must be selected or cleared when you enter the server settings the first time you connect to the Mobile Admin Server
- After the Mobile Admin Server detects your smartphone type and presents that information, confirm these settings before continuing.
Click Install the Mobile Admin Client for your smartphone.
A status bar shows the progress of the installation.
When the installation is complete, a message displays, indicating that the installation was successful.
- Click OK.
- Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager application.
- Open the Application Loader.
- Follow the prompts in the Application Loader Wizard.
- On the Device Application Selection screen, click Add.
Browse to the directory containing the Mobile Admin Client files relevant for your handheld model and OS.
The client files are on the server where the Mobile Admin Server was installed, as subfolders to:
C:\Program Files\Rove\Mobile Admin\client\bb\desktop).
- Select the
MobileAdmin.alxfile in the appropriate folder and click Open.
- Select the Mobile Admin check box, and click Next.
- Complete the installation wizard.
Set up the Mobile Admin Client
The first time you use the Mobile Admin Client on your wireless device, enter the server settings that displayed during the installation of the software. These settings include the host name or IP address of the computer where the Mobile Admin Server was installed, the port used to connect the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the Mobile Admin Server, and the mode of connection (TCP/IP or MDS Connection Service).
If you do not have the required server settings, contact the administrator who installed and configured Mobile Admin Server on your network.
On the main screen of your wireless device, select the Mobile Admin icon.
A welcome message displays.
Enter the server settings that you recorded from the Mobile Admin Client Installation screen or received from your network administrator.
If you are not using BlackBerry Enterprise Server, enter the port used by your gateway to connect to the Mobile Admin Server and select TCP/IP. While SolarWinds recommends that you connect with HTTPS, you cannot connect to the Mobile Admin Server with HTTPS unless the Mobile Admin Server is configured to use HTTPS.
If you are using BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it is highly recommended that you connect through the MDS Connection Service. You can connect through TCP/IP. If you choose this option, your Mobile Admin data will not go through BlackBerry Enterprise Server and may not be encrypted.
If you have any questions about the server settings, contact the administrator who installed and configured the Mobile Admin Server on your network.
A message displays:
The application Mobile Admin has requested an http connection to 'your default server.
This message displays each time you log in to Mobile Admin and every time you send a new Mobile Admin command during a session—unless you select a check box in the Don’t ask this again for field. The default server is the computer where the Mobile Admin Server has been installed.
- Do one of the following:
- Select the HTTP connections to Server Name check box if you want to allow this and all future connections to the Mobile Admin Server from your wireless device (recommended).
- Select the All HTTP connections check box if you plan to move the Mobile Admin Server to another computer in the near future and you do not want to be asked to allow the connection when the server is moved.
- Go to step 5 if you want to be asked to confirm the HTTP connection next time you connect to the Mobile Admin Server and every time you send a new Mobile Admin command during a session.
Click Allow Connection.
The Mobile Admin Client connects to the Mobile Admin Server.
If you entered the server settings incorrectly, an error message displays. Review the error message and click OK to return to the Mobile Admin welcome screen. If Mobile Admin can detect the cause of the error, the error message will provide specific instructions to change or correct your server settings. If Mobile Admin cannot detect the cause of the error, review your server settings carefully, make any required corrections, and try to connect again.
Upgrade the Mobile Admin Client
Follow one of the following procedures:
- Reboot your wireless device.
Uninstall the Mobile Admin Client
This procedure is compatible with many BlackBerry smartphones. If it is not compatible with your BlackBerry smartphone, see the documentation included with your device and follow the procedure for uninstalling, deleting, or removing software.
- On the main screen of your wireless device, select the Options icon.
- Select Applications.
- Scroll down to Mobile Admin.
On the menu, click Delete.
A dialog box appears and confirms that you want to delete Mobile Admin.
A message appears and confirms that Mobile Admin was successfully deleted.