An alert fired in Loggly can be sent to PagerDuty, which will then alert the appropriate individual via SMS, phone, email, or iOS push.
Set up a PagerDuty Integration
From the Configuration menu, select Services.
On your Services page:
- If you are creating a new service for your integration, click + Add New Service.
- If you are adding your integration to an existing service, click the name of the service you want to add the integration to. Then click the Integrations tab and click + New Integration.
Enter a name for the service, if applicable, select Loggly from the Integration Type menu, and enter an Integration Name.
If you are creating a new service for your integration, select your desired settings options under Incident Settings, Incident Behavior, and Alert Grouping to continue defining your integration service settings.
Click Add Service or Add Integration to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations page for your service.
Copy the Integration Key for your new integration:
Create a PagerDuty EndPoint
Now that you have an Integration Key, set up a PagerDuty alert endpoint in Loggly.
- In the navigation menu click Alerts > Alerts Endpoint. Click Create Endpoint to add an alerting endpoint.
Select PagerDuty from the Endpoint drop-down menu.
- Enter a Name and Description for the endpoint in the corresponding fields.
- Enter the API Key in the field provided. Use the Integration Key you saved when adding a Loggly Integration to the PagerDuty service.
This alert endpoint is now available as an option when you create Loggly alerts.
Create a Loggly Alert
In the navigation menu, click Alerts > Alert List to view the list of Loggly alerts. Click Add New to open the Add Alert page.
Enter an alert name and description.
Select a saved search and enter additional information to define your alert conditions. See Alerts for more information.
In the Then pane, select the Send to an Endpoint checkbox, and then select the PagerDuty endpoint you just created from the drop-down menu.
If desired, select the check-box to automatically resolve the incidents in PagerDuty when the alert condition clears.
Click Save to create the alert.
Verify Alerts Reach the PagerDuty Service
To test your new alert, generate some logs that will trigger your alert. Wait a few minutes for the alert to run, then check your PagerDuty account's activity page for this configured service.
Advanced PagerDuty Configuration Options
- To resolve incidents automatically in PagerDuty, enable the option in your PagerDuty alert: "When alert condition clears, mark the incident as resolved in PagerDuty"
- To tie multiple PagerDuty services together, use the following instruction: Once you have two Loggly/Generic API services within PagerDuty, create a new alert within Loggly. When configuring the alert endpoint, use the Service API Key from the second PagerDuty service.
If you don’t see your alerts, check the following:
- Verify the search that would trigger the alert has the required events by searching for them on the search tab.
- Check to see if there is an existing incident in PagerDuty. If an existing incident for this alert has been cached, a new one will not be created even if the conditions are met.
- Wait for at least the duration you set as how often the alert runs
- Search or post questions in the community forum.
When the APM Integrated Experience is enabled, Loggly shares a common navigation and settings with the other integrated experiences' products. How you navigate Loggly and access its features may vary from these instructions. For more information, go to the APM Integrated Experience documentation.