The ipMonitor monitor can be used to monitor an external installation of ipMonitor on another computer.
You can configure the monitor to:
- Perform internal diagnostics of the ipMonitor installation you specify
- Perform redundant monitoring and alerting on behalf of the ipMonitor installation you specify
You can use the monitor to test an ipMonitor installation's ability to:
- Accept incoming sessions
- Conduct transactions via the HTTP or HTTPS protocol
- Respond within a required number of seconds
You can also use ipMonitor monitor to perform redundant monitoring and alerting for the external ipMonitor installation when one of the following options is selected:
- Fail if any group member or Dependency monitor is down.
- Fail if any group dependency is down.
- Fail if any group member is down.
Create redundant alerting
The ipMonitor monitor can perform a quick diagnostic or to perform redundant alerting for an external ipMonitor installation.
The following options are used to specify which function the ipMonitor monitor will perform:
- Do not obtain the status of a group, just a quick diagnostic
- Fail if any group member or Dependency monitor is down
- Fail if any group dependency is down
- Fail if any group member is down
Click Select to specify the group on the remote ipMonitor installation you want to monitor for a Down state.
Force an immediate connection to the remote ipMonitor installation to obtain a list of groups that can be monitored by selecting a group from the list of groups displayed.
If the Group list is not displayed, verify the validity of the following:
- IP address or domain name: ping and perform a traceroute to the remote ipMonitor installation to verify the connection.
- Port: ipMonitor can be installed on may possible ports.
- Account information: log in to the remote ipMonitor installation to verify that the account you provided is valid and has real-time statistics list access.
The test will fail and trigger an alert when:
- The specified remote ipMonitor installation is unavailable.
- The diagnostic fails to complete within the Maximum Test Duration.
- Depending on the Group Testing option selected in the Analysis of Test Results section, a member or Dependency monitor in the selected group has tried to trigger an alert.