MAPI - User Experience monitor
The MAPI - User Experience Monitor simulates a round-trip email and measures the time it takes for a series of transactions to occur.
Using CDO or MAPI, a program can connect to a MAPI store and perform operations against that store.
This monitor performs the following steps:
- The monitor connects to the SMTP server on port 25 and sends an email message to the specified recipient address.
- The monitor logs in to Exchange Server and uses the email account specified in the default Mail Profile to connect to an Exchange mailbox.
- The monitor searches for the test email it sent and flags it for deletion.
- The MAPI User Experience monitor sends a LOGOUT command to Exchange Server.
The test is considered to have failed if:
- The SMTP server fails to respond or returns an error code.
- The Exchange Server fails to respond or returns an error code.
- The MAPI - User Experience monitor is unable to locate the sent email.
Use the MAPI - User Experience Monitor to test the following:
- The SMTP mail server can accept and distribute email.
- The Exchange Server can authenticate users.
- The Exchange Server can respond correctly to MAPI commands.
- MAPI clients can receive their email.
- The Exchange Server responds within a required number of seconds.
Microsoft Outlook account requirements
To operate correctly, this monitor requires the following Microsoft Outlook environment:
- Outlook 2007: SolarWinds recommends uninstalling Outlook from the host server and using a CDO to create a MAPI profile.
- Microsoft Outlook email account under the default Mail Profile of the Windows user account impersonated by the monitor
Use the Microsoft CDO
The following applies to Microsoft Outlook 2007 Users. After installing the client, you can then use the MFC MAPI tool to create a MAPI profile.
When using the MAPI Profile wizard, you need to set the default flag on creation. This is done by setting the flag to 0x00000003 on the wizard parameters page.
Set up a Windows Mail Profile
- Log in to the ipMonitor server using the Windows Domain Account that will be used by the MAPI - User Experience monitor.
- Install and launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Follow the steps outlined in the Outlook Startup wizard to configure the default Mail Profile for the domain account.
When you configure the MAPI User Experience monitor, the monitoring credential should reference the Windows account used to log in to the ipMonitor server.
Test email message
ipMonitor uses a message with a special subject line to test the send and receive ability of the IMAP4 mail server, similar to: