Install Dameware Mini Remote Control client (centralized mode)
This topic provides steps for installing the Dameware Mini Remote Control client and establishing a connection with the Dameware Central Server. When you use Dameware Mini Remote Control in centralized mode, you can manage Dameware licenses and users, and share Global Host Lists.
Dameware Mini Remote Control centralized does not support Internet Sessions, so you cannot support end users outside of your network. To support remote end users, you must purchase a license of Dameware Remote Support centralized.
Before you begin:
- Install Dameware Central Server for a Mini Remote Control Centralized installation. When you install the Dameware Mini Remote Control client, you configure it to connect with the Central Server.
- Collect the IP address and port number of the Dameware Central Server.
- Review the system requirements and port requirements.
- Obtain a copy of the DamewareMRC32.exe (32-bit) or DamewareMRC64.exe (64-bit) installation files. The files are available on the SolarWinds Customer Portal. If you have not received a copy, complete Task 1 below.
The installation is divided into separate tasks that need to be completed before you can begin using Dameware Mini Remote Control.
Task 1: Download the Dameware Mini Remote Control installation file
If you have not yet created a SolarWinds account, see Access the Customer Portal to create an account.
- Go to the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
- In the Log In tab, enter your email address and password.
- In the Latest Downloads table, click Choose Download for the installation files for Dameware Mini Remote Control.
Task 2: Run the installation file
- Log in as an administrator to the server on which you are installing Dameware Mini Remote Control.
The Installation Wizard opens.
Task 3: Complete the Installation wizard
- Click Next on the Welcome window.
- If you agree, accept the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
- Select an installation directory, and click Next.
- Select Centralized Install, and click Next.
- Enter the IP address and port number of the Central Server, click Test, and click Next.
The default port number if 6133, and is seldom changed to another value.
- Select your shortcut preferences, and click Next.
- Click Install.
- On the final dialog box, click Finish.
As the installation progresses, a dialog box opens, prompting you to enter an email address. If you do not enter an email address, the installation does not complete.
Task 4: Connect to the Central Server
- Launch Dameware Mini Remote Control.
- Select Windows authentication or complete the Dameware authentication credentials, and click Connect to Server.
- To change the connection parameters, click Advanced settings.
You are now ready to use Dameware Mini Remote Control. Refer to the Getting Started Guide to begin using Dameware Mini Remote Control.