Enable remote logging in Dameware
The remote logging feature of the Dameware Mini Remote Control client agent enables administrators to send a copy of the Dameware Mini Remote Control entries recorded in the remote computer's Application Event log to a logging server. The log host must have a Dameware Mini Remote Control client agent installed. Remote logging is useful whenever you want to track who connects to the remote computer. For example, remote logging is often enabled to comply with Payment Card Industry (PCI) logging requirements.
Before you begin, ensure that the log host and the client agent computer are running the same version of the Dameware Mini Remote Control client agent.
- On the client agent computer:
- Select the Enable Remote Logging setting.
- Enter the IP address, Host Name, or FQDN of the log host.
- Enter the TCP port that the Dameware Mini Remote Control Client Agent Service is configured to listen on.
- Restart the service on the client.
- On the log host:
- Select the Enable Logging to this host setting.
- Enter the Log Path for the local computer, such as
C:\DameWare Log Files\(a UNC path is not valid).
- Enter the Maximum Log File size in bytes.
- Restart the service on the log host.
When the Dameware Mini Remote Control Client Agent Service on the machine sees an inbound logging request, it takes in the log entry and appends it to the DWRCS.CSV file in the specified log path folder. If the DWRCS.CSV file does not exist, the system creates it.
All entries are recorded or appended to the DWRCS.CSV log file, which is a standard CSV (Comma Separated Value) formatted file that can be opened using a third-party reporting tool, such as Microsoft Excel.