Add transaction locations in WPM
Use the Manage Transaction Locations page to display existing transaction locations, as well as add, edit and delete transaction locations. Also called "playback locations," transaction locations are places in your environment that host the WPM Player service. When you add a transaction location, an agent is deployed to the location and registered with the main Orion server.
WPM aims to get an accurate sampling of how your websites and services perform over time from the viewpoint of your end users. SolarWinds recommends deploying WPM Players in the same geographical locations as most your user base to get a sample that is representative of your end users around the world.
If the SolarWinds NetPath feature is configured to monitor the path to your Exchange servers, the same servers that act as NetPath probes can also be used as WPM transaction locations.
To add a transaction location:
- Click Settings >All Settings > WPM Settings > Manage Player Locations.
- On the Manage Transaction Locations page, switch to the Transaction Locations tab.
- Click Add Location.
- Select Install location on my network and click Next.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- Enter the IP Address or Hostname of the location, and then click Add to List; or
- Select a location from the list of existing nodes.
You can select multiple locations if required.
- Select Use default settings, and enter a Player Name if you do not want it to be the same as the Location Name; or,
- Select Use advanced settings, and enter a Player Name, Player Port number, and Player Password, as required.
- Select the check box for the location you're adding.
- Click Assign Credentials.
- In the Assign Credential window, provide credentials.
- Click Test to verify credentials.
- Click Submit.
To use an existing transaction location:
- Click Add Location on the Manage Transaction Locations page.
- Select Add an existing location, and click Next.
- Enter a name for the player in the Name for player at this location field.
- To use server-initiated communication, where the WPM Player service is passive and waits for requests from the Orion server on a specified port:
- Select Server initiated communication, and then enter the IP Address or hostname where the player is located.
- (Optional) Click Advanced to add a Player Password, change the Player port (the default is 17781), and/or use a proxy.
- To use player-initiated communication, where the WPM actively initiates communication with the Orion server on port 17782:
- Select Player initiated communication, and select the Player from the drop-down menu.
- Click Advanced to assign the player to a polling engine.
Firewall/NAT configuration is simplified because the player actively connects to the polling server using a HTTP(S) protocol. MSPs and larger distributed deployments may prefer this option.
- Click Submit.
The location is added to the list of locations, where you can select it and click Next to access the After you select a recording and assign it to a location, define the properties for the transaction monitor. tab on the Add Transaction page.