Update WPM Player communication settings in the Orion Web Console
When you add a transaction location in the Orion Web Console, a WPM Player is deployed to the remote system. The WPM Player is a Windows service that uses WPM worker processes to simulate end user experiences with web applications by playing test scenarios repeatedly while gathering statistics to send to the Orion server for analysis.
WPM Players can communicate with the Orion server in one of two ways:
- Server-initiated communication: Sets players in passive mode to wait for requests from the Orion server on port 17781. To use this option, configure firewall and Network Address Translation (NAT) settings on each system that hosts a WPM Player so agents can communicate with the Orion server.
- Player-initiated communication: Allows players to actively initiate communicate with the Orion server on port 17782. This setting permits active agents on remote systems to navigate the Firewall/NAT configuration and actively connects to polling servers using a HTTP(S) protocol. Managed Service Providers (MSPs) and larger distributed deployments may prefer this option.
If you change the communication setting for an existing WPM Player on a remote system, be sure to update settings within the Orion Web Console also, as described here.
- Click Settings > All Settings > WPM Settings > Manage Player Locations.
- On the Manage Transaction Locations page, switch to the Transaction Locations tab.
- Select the row for the player, and then click Edit.
- Update field values, as necessary. For field descriptions, see WPM online help.
- (Optional) Select the "Update player settings"check box to allow password and port settings to be changed remotely if conflicting network settings make the player unavailable.
- (Optional) Click Test to verify the connection.
- Click Submit.