Monitoring virtual disk statistics in VMAN
In VMAN 8.5, you can now monitor the IOPs, throughput and latency metrics at a virtual disk granularity. To make use of this monitoring, create custom tables and custom chart widgets for use in dashboards and reports.
Create custom table and chart widgets
Use the Orion Web Console to create custom widgets containing the metrics for IOPS, throughput, and latency metrics for your monitored virtual disks as needed. Create custom table widgets, custom chart widgets, and more.
Create a custom table or chart widget with Virtual Disk statistics
While viewing a dashboard in the Orion Web Console:
- Click the pencil icon on the left-hand side of the screen to Customize Page.
- Click Add Widgets.
- In the search bar for Available Widgets, search for "Custom".
- Click and drag Custom Table or Custom Chart to an empty space on the dashboard.
- Click Done editing.
- In the newly created widget, click Edit or Configure this resource.
- Click Select datasource. Selecting the Datasource will determine the pool of nodes that the table or chart will pull data from.
- Select Advanced Selector
- Set I want to report on "Virtual Machine"
- Where (your condition)
- Click "Select field ..."
- You can select Virtual Disk in the Orion Object dropdown if you wish the Datasource to be determined by Virtual Disk statistics.
- Select the metric that you want to monitor.
- Click Add Column.
- Repeat the steps for as many metrics that you wish to add.
- Click Update data source.
- For charts, add the data series to the chart's Left Y-AXIS and Right Y-AXIS.
- For tables, add columns.
- Fill out any remaining fields as needed.
- Click Submit.
You can group data in charts by selecting the Data grouping option. Grouping by Virtual Disk File Name is an easy way to make charts more readable.
Example custom chart for virtual disk Maximum IOPS Total for virtual machines, with data grouped by virtual disk file name:
See the Orion Platform Administrator Guide for more information about customizing Orion Web Console views, and Widget configuration examples in the Orion Platform for other examples. For information about adding custom tables and charts to a report, see Add a custom chart or table to a web-based report in the Orion Platform.
Create alerts based on virtual disk statistics
Create alerts that will trigger when the metrics for IOPS, throughput, and latency metrics for monitored virtual disks exceed a threshold that you specify.
- Navigate to Settings -> All Settings -> Manage Alerts (In the Alerts & Reports section).
- Click Add new alert.
- Fill in the appropriate fields and select virtual disk IOPS, throughput, or latency as the alert trigger.
For more detailed instructions about creating alerts in the Orion Platform, see Create new alerts to monitor your environment with the Orion Platform.