Set up a rule to trigger an Orion alert from a VMware event
To set up VMAN alerts that trigger from VMware events that meet specified conditions, create a new rule in the Log Viewer.
There are multiple ways to set up a rule to trigger an alert when VMware events occur. An easy to set up alert is to use the EventType, found in the Entry Details of an event in the Log Viewer. Navigate to My Dashboards -> VMware Events -> Select an event listed in the log viewer. The event's Entry Details are shown on the right-hand side of the Log Viewer.
You can set up a rule to trigger based on EventType.
Here's an example for setting up a trigger based on a VMware Event's EventType. In this example, we'll create an alert to trigger for VMware Events of EventType "UserLogoutSessionEvent".
- Navigate to My Dashboards -> VMware Events -> Configure Rules (top-right corner).
- Click VMware Events on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click My Custom Rules.
- Click Create New Rule.
The Create New Rule wizard opens.
- Follow the instructions in the wizard to give the rule a name and whether it should be enabled after creation.
- Specify the triggering conditions.
- Set the source computers.
- Under Log Entries, select the option Look for specific entries.
- Set IF to EventType (you can also select other attributes such as User, Level, Message, SourceType, and more)
- Set Is Equal To the type of event that you'd like to trigger an alert. In this example, we'll set it to UserLogoutSessionEvent:
- On the Actions tab, check the box for Send a Log Rule Fired event to Orion Alerting
- Check the box for Create a new alert that fires whenever this rule triggers:
- Configure the alert by following the onscreen instructions.
- Review the rule and alert integration on the summary tab. Click Save when done.