This section provides clarity on the use and benefits of queues, and how to implement Queue Manangment. For more information on Queue Management, click here.
Queues are designed to help manage shared workloads. By giving managers and agents the ability to review and prioritize incoming tickets with a shared workload, queues help ensure you meet SLA's.
The queue aids your team in working most effectively to provide a satisfied user experience.
Important fact regarding queues and SLAs - Tickets in queues are Pending Assignment therefore not being worked on by an agent until officially assigned.
We will walk you through a sample scenario where a queue is best practice to meet your needs:
To maximize the benefits of using queues to help manage your tickets, you should:
- Create a queue
- Assign items to the queue
- Create a view of the shared work items
- Share the view with the queue members
For example, when your team addresses many Tier 1 Incidents best practice is to create a new queue.
- Navigate to Users and Groups. Select Queues
- Click on the icon to Create a new queue
- Provide queue name - Tier 1 Incidents
- Description - Queue for all incoming Incidents via email
The Notifications options is set to Off by default. When you wish to provide automatic email notifications, simply toggle the pill bar to On to inform relevant members that a new Incident has been created.
This Notification toggle is independent of the general notifications toggle in the Setup menu. When this is toggled off, queue members will not receive emails notifications regarding the queue.
- Add members - Click the Add Members button to select the members that will be have access to tickets in the Queue. Members can include individual users and/or groups.
When a group is added to a queue, the group and queue are synced. That is, if a member is added or removed from the Group, s/he will be added/removed from the Queue as well.
To activate the queue
- Click the Create button on the upper right hand corner of your screen
- Then activate via the Activation toggle
All new queues are inactive by default and must be activated via the toggle. Only once activated, the new, active queue will appear in the Assigned to fields.
Notifications - Setting this toggle to On, automates sending email notifications to queue members (based on pre-defined notifications settings).
Round Robin Assignment - Setting this toggle to On, will assist in ticket management by auto assigning incidents to members of the queue based on availability.
Factors to consider when enabling Round Robin Assignment:
- All users listed as Queue Members will need to manually switch on their availability via your user profile.
- Although it is NOT recommended to include groups in the queue member assignments, when a group is listed, the ticket will be assigned to the group as a whole and not to an individual member of the group.
- Once added as a member of the queue, you must refresh the page.
- Round Robin assigns tickets based on availability. During creation and/or editing of a Queue, you can add members to the queue members list. Ticket assignment is based on next available agent and continues down the list.
- If a member on the list is marked as unavailable, the ticket will be assigned to the next member marked available.
- If all members of the queue are currently set as unavailanble, the ticket will not be assigned and remains in the queue.
Round Robin assignment is only relevant when an incident is created, reassigned to the queue or automatically assigned to the queue. If no Agent is available at this time, the ticket remains in the queue and needs to be manually assigned.
If a ticket is not immediately assigned, it will NOT get assigned once an agent becomes available. Therefore, it is imperative to maintain a process for ticket assignment if there are hours that there will not be any available agents.
Step 2 - Automate assignment of relevant Incidents directly to the Queue
Make sure you understand the Round Robin ticket assignment described in Step 1 to help with automation of ticket management. For further ticket automation, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Setup - select Automations
- Click on the icon to Add Automation Rule
- Provide rule name - Tier 1 Incident Assignment
- Description - Route all incoming (via email) Tier 1 Incidents to this queue
- Trigger - Object Creation
- Scope - Incident/Service Request
- Conditions - We will select all incoming email Incident by stating Origin = Email.
- Actions - Reassign to = Tier 1 Incidents
Step 3 - Create a list view filter based on the new queue
- Navigate to your Service Desk and select Incidents.
- Select the blue Edit View button to filter and edit your view to only display Incidents assigned to Tier 1 Incidents Queue.
- For more information regarding filtering, editing and/or customizing your view, click here.
- Click Apply
- Notice that the Index title now shows (Edited) - Select the icon to reveal the dropdown menu. Click Save as New and name the new view. Click Save
- From the same dropdown menu, you can also select Share to share this view with other queue members to ensure that all members are seeing the same view and take from the list of prioritized tickets.
- An email will be sent to all members that the new view was shared with.
Once you have created your queue and assigned relevant members, you should repeat the steps above to create as many queues as necessary to manage incoming tickets.
Queue implementation to manage your tickets
Queues can be applied in many areas throughout your SWSD. Below is a detailed list of fields and functions where queues can be applied.
The use of queues is available only once the field is edited.
|Assigned to Field||
||Incidents, Problems, Changes and Releases|
|Default Assignee||Record pages||Service Catalog Items and Change Catalog Items|
|User type variable||Record pages||Service Catalog Items and Change Catalog Items|
|User type custom field||Record pages||All objects|
|Technical Contact field||Record pages||Computers, Printers, Mobile Devices and Other Assets|
|Owner field||Computers, Printers, Mobile Devices and Other Assets|
|Categories: Default Assignee||Categories setup page|
|Sites: Default Assignee||Organization setup page|
|Departments: Default Assignee||Organization setup page|