Add a syslog device to SEM
After you configure your syslog device to send events to SEM and verify that SEM is receiving the events, add the syslog device to SEM.
When you add a syslog device to SEM, select a connector that is specific to the network device you are adding. The connector normalizes the log data into a standard format that can be compared with logs received from other vendors' devices. See SEM Connector List for a list of supported connectors.
The following example describes how to add a Cisco ASA firewall to SEM. See Integrate Cisco network devices with SolarWinds SEM for more information on adding Cisco devices to SEM.
- Log in to the SEM Console.
- On the SEM menu bar, navigate to Manage > Appliances.
- Click the gear icon, and then click Connectors.
- Filter the list to include only Cisco connectors.
- Next to the Cisco PIX and IOS firewall, click New to add a Cisco IOS connector.
- Enter the connection parameters, and then click Save.
The Alias is a friendly name for this device. Specify the log file (for example,
/var/log/local4.log) in SEM receiving the log data, as specified by the syslog device.
- To the left of the connector, click the gear icon, and then click Start to start the connector.
You have successfully added the connector when you see a message on the Appliances page that SEM has detected new nodes.