Install the SEM Agent on macOS X
See SEM Agent pre-installation checklist: Prepare to deploy SEM Agents for Agent download information and a pre-install checklist.
SEM does not currently support USB defender on macOS X.
- Installing the SEM Agent on macOS requires enabling the 'root' user account and disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP). Not doing so will prevent the Agent from running properly.
- This procedure applies to SEM versions 6.4 and later.
- Enable root credentials on the Apple Mac system.
See How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password for details.
- Disable System Intrusion Protection on the Mac system.
You can also use the terminal flag sudo nvram "recovery-boot-mode=unused" to reboot into recovery.
- Download the SolarWinds-SEM-v#.#.#-MacOSAgentInstaller.zip file from the Customer Portal.
- Decompress or unzip the file to a local drive--not a network drive.
- Navigate to the correct directory path using finder in the GUI.
If you are logged in as root, enter:
If you are not logged in as root, enter:
cd /private/var/root/SolarWinds-SEM-v#.#.#-MAcOSAgentInstaller/MacOS Agent/
- Log in as root or as your current user.
- Double-click the Setup.app file on the Macintosh system.
- Follow the installer instructions. During the installation, add Manager IP (IP of SEM), leave all ports default. and click next until finished.
- Open Terminal.
- For Catalina (10.15) ONLY, remount the file system not as read only sudo mount -uw /
- Copy the SEM Agent to the correct startup path to have it initialize upon reboot.
If the installer was run with the root account, run the following command to copy the folder:
cp -rp /private/var/root/Applications/SWSEMAgent /System/Library/StartupItems/
cp -rp /private/var/root/Applications/SWSEMAgent /Applications/
If the installer was not run as the root, run the following commands:
cp -rp /Users/<username>/Applications/SWSEMAgent /System/Library/StartupItems/
cp -rp /Users/<username>/Applications/SWSEMAgent /Applications/
- Navigate to the PLIST file packaged with the installed Agent by executing the following command:
- Copy the PLIST file to the LaunchDaemons folder.
cp -rp com.solarwinds.swsemagent.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/
- If necessary, change the permissions on the PLIST file. This only needs to be completed if the PLIST file is moved with a non-root account.
chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.solarwinds.swsemagent.plist
- Restart the computer.
- Verify that the agent is running by running the following command:
launchctl list | grep swsemagent
Start and stop the MAC Agent Service
- To start the Mac Agent Service, execute:
launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.solarwinds.swlemagent.plist
- To stop the Mac Agent Service, execute:
launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.solarwinds.swlemagent.plist
Verify that the Agent service is running
- Run the following command:
launchctl list | grep swlemagent
- If the Agent Service is running, the output is below:
Mac-mini:~ root# 865 0 com.solarwinds.swlemagent
- If the Agent Service is not running, the output is blank: