Promote a node to WMI monitoring in SAM
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is a proprietary technology used to poll performance and management information from Windows‑based network devices, applications, and components. When used as an alternative to SNMP, WMI can provide much of the same monitoring and management data currently available with SNMP‑based polling with the addition of Windows‑specific communications and security features. For more information about WMI, see Microsoft's MSDN.
Due to specific characteristics of WMI polling requests, polling a single WMI‑enabled object uses approximately five times the resources required to poll the same or similar object with SNMP on the same polling frequency.
To promote an existing node to WMI monitoring:
- In the Orion Web Console, navigate to Settings > Manage Nodes.
- Select the check box for the node, click Edit Properties, and then select Windows Servers: WMI and ICMP.
- Enter the appropriate WMI credentials.
- Click Test to confirm your settings. When done, click Submit, then click OK.
To learn more about WMI monitoring, see these resources:
- Choose polling methods (Orion Platform Administrator Guide)
- What privileges do I need for WMI polling? (Orion Platform online help)
- Portocalypse - WMI Demystified product blog (THWACK)
- Feature availability based on monitoring methods — with agents or agentless using SNMP or WMI (Success Center)