Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine Scale Set
This template contains performance and statistics counters for monitoring Azure Virtual Machine, an on-demand, scalable computing resource.
- PowerShell 5.0 or later is installed on the system where the template will run.
- PowerShell module (Azure, AzureRM) is installed on the system where the template will run.
To install the Azure module, execute these PowerShell commands:
Install-Module -Name Azure
Install-Module -Name AzureRM
- To connect with the Azure account, the following parameters are required:
- Secret Key
- Application Name: Any Azure App (with name and ID) with Contributor or Reader role in Azure role-based access control (RBAC).
- Virtual Machine name and ResourceGroupName for which metrics are being calculated.
- Login credentials for the Azure Portal, passed as script arguments per prerequisites.
For example, <SubscriptionID>, <TenantID>, <ApplicationID>, value=<Secret Key>, <Virtual Machine Name>, <ResourceGroupName>).
- Optional parameters can be passed to script argument:
- value=<Time Interval> - during which data must be fetched, in minutes. The default is 10 minutes.
- Number of retries as the second last argument; the default is 3.
- WaitTime as the last argument; the default is 0.5 seconds
- Run scripts with Admin rights on the target system.
- The ApplicationID used to connect to the Azure Portal must be registered in Azure Active Directory as contributor role for the monitored application. See Add an Azure Active Directory app for cloud monitoring in the Orion Platform.
- Portions of this document were originally created by and are excerpted from the following sources:
- Overview of Windows virtual machines in Azure
- Tutorial: Create a virtual machine scale set and deploy a highly available app on Windows with Azure PowerShell
- This template was tested with AzureRM Module 6.9.0.
Disk Read Bytes/Sec
This monitor provides the total bytes read from disk during monitoring period for the given Virtual machine via PowerShell cmd-let.
Disk Read Operations/Sec
This monitor provides the average Disk Read Operations per sec for the given Virtual machine via PowerShell cmd-let.
Disk Write Bytes/Sec
This monitor provides the total bytes written to disk during monitoring period for the given Virtual Machine via PowerShell cmd-let.
Disk Write Operations/Sec
This monitor provides the average Disk Write Operations per sec for the given Virtual machine via PowerShell cmd-let.
Network Incoming Traffic
This monitor provides the total number of bytes received on all network interfaces for the given Virtual Machine (Incoming Traffic) via PowerShell cmd-let.
Network Outgoing Traffic
This monitor provides the total number of bytes out on all network interfaces by the given Virtual Machine (Outgoing Traffic).
This monitor provides the average percentage of allocated compute units that are currently in use by the given Virtual Machine via PowerShell cmd-let.