Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse
This template contains performance and statistics counters for monitoring SQL Data Warehouse.
- PowerShell 5.0 or later is installed on the system where the template will run.
- PowerShell module (Azure, AzureRM) is installed on the system where the template will run.
To install the Azure module, execute these PowerShell commands:
Install-Module -Name Azure
Install-Module -Name AzureRM
- To connect with the Azure account, the following parameters are required:
- Secret Key
- Application Name: Any Azure App (with name and ID) with Contributor or Reader role in Azure role-based access control (RBAC).
- SQL Data Warehouse name for which metrics are being calculated.
- Login credentials for the Azure Portal, passed as script arguments per prerequisites.
For example, <SubscriptionID>, <TenantID>, <ApplicationID>, value=<Secret Key>, <SQL Data Warehouse Name>).
- Optional parameters can be passed to script argument:
- value=<Time Interval> - during which data must be fetched, in minutes. The default is 10 minutes.
- Number of retries as the second last argument; the default is 3.
- WaitTime as the last argument; the default is 0.5 seconds
- Run scripts with Admin rights on the target system.
- The ApplicationID used to connect to the Azure Portal must be registered in Azure Active Directory as contributor role for the monitored application. See Add an Azure Active Directory app for cloud monitoring in the Orion Platform.
- Portions of this document were originally created by and are excerpted from the following sources:
- Create and query an Azure SQL data warehouse in the Azure portal
- Supported metrics with Azure Monitor. (© 2019 Microsoft Corp., available at https://docs.microsoft.com, obtained on May 8, 2019)
- This template was tested with AzureRM Module 6.9.0.
Data warehouse units (DWU) utilization
This metric provides the maximum percentage of database warehouse units used for the given SQL database during the time period specified as the polling frequency.
Data warehouse units (DWU) limit
This metric provides the maximum database warehouse limit in units for the given SQL database during the time period specified as the Polling Frequency.
Data warehouse units (DWU) used
This metric provides the maximum database throughput units per minute used for the given SQL database during the time period specified as the polling frequency.