Install PowerShell on target servers in SAM
Before proceeding, review AppInsight for IIS requirements and permissions.
Depending on how you configure PowerShell in your environment, it can make your system vulnerable to unauthorized access. For details, see Use PowerShell in SAM.
To ensure that the Orion server can execute PowerShell commands against remote, target servers configured as managed nodes in SAM, you'll need to verify that:
- PowerShell 2.0 or later is installed.
- WinRM is enabled. See Enable remote access for PowerShell with WinRM.
- The Startup Type is set to Automatic.
PowerShell is included in most versions of Windows Server but you can install it, if necessary. The easiest way to set up a target server for PowerShell is to configure AppInsight for IIS on the node, which you can do in several way such as:
- For an existing node currently managed via WMI, click List Resources on the Node Details page and select Microsoft IIS directly beneath AppInsight Applications.
See Add AppInsight for IIS to an existing WMI node.
- For a new node added via the Add Node Wizard, you'll see the same Microsoft IIS option as provided for existing nodes.
- For multiple nodes, add them via the Discovery Wizard or assign AppInsight for IIS to nodes on the Manage Application Monitor Templates page.