Updated March 4, 2019
These release notes describe the new features, improvements, and fixed issues in Server & Application Monitor 6.7, an Orion Platform product that consumes Orion Platform 2018.2. These notes also provide information about upgrades and known issues.
New features and improvements
Read this section for descriptions of new features and improvements offered in this release. For previous release information, see SAM Previous Versions. You can also compare this release with previous releases of SAM.
AppOptics APM integration
SolarWinds AppOptics APM is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)-delivered product that extends the application monitoring capabilities of SAM. It delivers advanced performance metrics for IIS-based, .NET applications that are integrated into the SAM experience.
You can use AppOptics APM with SAM to cross-reference application, server, and infrastructure metrics side-by-side in the same dashboard, and trace requests through your entire application and infrastructure. AppOptics APM also includes heat maps to isolate outliers and trends, which you can use to drill down to traces for root cause.
Adding this extra layer of information to SAM enables you to:
- Gain a code-level look into your AppInsight for IIS applications.
- Monitor the performance of custom IIS-based, .NET applications.
- Check the status of application stacks and see how tiers of applications communicate with each other.
- Determine the databases and users that applications send information to.
- Identify if issues are network-, server-, or application-related so you can route details to the right team.
To learn more, see Integrate SolarWinds AppOptics APM with IIS nodes.
Container service monitoring
For SAM 6.7 and VMAN 8.3, the Orion Platform now supports monitoring for Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, and Apache Mesos container deployments. After monitoring is set up, you can display data on Container Details pages accessible in the various areas of the Orion Web Console, including:
- The AppStack Environment
- Performance Analysis dashboards (PerfStack)
- Node Detail pages for nodes that host containers
Container services also appear on Orion Maps, and you can configure alerts for them just like you can for nodes. To learn more, see Monitor container services in the Orion Platform.
Visualize physical and logical relationships while using AppInsight for SQL, AppInsight for IIS, and AppInsight for Exchange to identify and troubleshoot performance issues with Orion Maps. You can also access maps on Application Details pages and Cloud Instance Static subviews.
Visit THWACK and read Orion Platform improvements — Intelligent Mapping Enhancements to learn more.
New customer installation
Before you upgrade
If upgrading from a previous version of SAM, be aware of the following considerations:
- To ensure a smooth upgrade, do the following:
- Use the SolarWinds Orion Installer, available in the Customer Portal, to direct your upgrade path and run preflight environment checks.
- Make sure all servers comply with the SAM 6.7 system requirements.
- Read these Release Notes.
- Backup any custom code, such as changed SolarWinds .css files or added .js files. >> Learn More
- Starting in SAM 6.6.1, the Application Dependencies feature is disabled when upgrading from an earlier version of SAM to prevent performance issues during upgrades for environments with large quantities of nodes. To restart polling after an upgrade, enable the Application Dependencies feature.
- If you added a site binding to a host name in an earlier SAM version, you must bind the Orion Web Console to a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN). See this article.
- If you exceed recommended cloud monitoring limits, you may see a 503 Service Unavailable message when adding an Azure account. See this article for a workaround.
- To monitor Exchange Server 2016, install PowerShell 2.0 or later and provide local Administrator rights.
How to upgrade
- Do you need to migrate as part of your upgrade? See the Orion Platform Migration Guide.
- To upgrade SAM and other Orion Platform products, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide.
SAM 6.7 fixes the following issues.
|Code was updated to reduce time to upgrade from earlier versions of SAM|
The following templates were updated to improve script output syntax:
Want to learn more about SAM's Office 365 templates? See Using Microsoft Office 365 templates.
00110808, 00085865, 00084902, 00110026
|Templates assigned to a group deploy to all members of the group when polling node via SNMP.|
|The Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Mailboxes template provides Mailbox Size statistics.|
|The executable file for the JMX Bridge services handles path names with spaces.|
|AppInsight for SQL monitors appear to all members of a group with view permissions.|
See also Orion Platform 2018.2 Release Notes.
Issue: If you install SAM 6.7 with or without other Orion Platform products, uninstall SAM 6.7 via the Windows Control Panel, and then reinstall SAM 6.7, a "Database configuration failed" message may appear in the Configuration Wizard. This issue is caused by a SAM.AppOptics package in the C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\InformationService\v3.0 folder that the Windows MSI application does not remove. The package, related to SolarWinds AppOptics APM, blocks the loading of required entities during reinstallation.
Workaround: Remove the <requires id="Orion.SAM.AppOptics" version="[188.8.131.527,]" /> line (version number may vary) in the Orion.Installer.Packaging.root file stored in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Packaging\Roots folder.
Issue: PerfStack 2.3 displayed inconsistent data for 24-hour totals as compared to 12-hour totals for metrics that include "Count" in the name.
Workaround: Upgrade to a more recent version of SAM that uses PerfStack 2.4 or later, such as SAM 6.7.1.
End of life
See the End of Life Policy for details about life cycles for SolarWinds products.
|EoL Annoucements||EoE Effective Dates||EoL Effective Dates|
April 6, 2018
End-of-Life (EoL) announcement – Customers on SAM 6.3 should begin transitioning to the latest version of SAM.
June 6, 2018
End-of-Engineering (EoE) – Service releases, bug fixes, workarounds, and service packs for SAM 6.3 will no longer be actively supported by SolarWinds.
June 6, 2020
End-of-Life (EoL) – SolarWinds will no longer provide technical support for SAM 6.3.
See Currently supported software versions for more information.
© 2018 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.