Add discovered servers and applications to SAM
After the Discovery Wizard analyzes available devices and interfaces in your network, the Network Sonar Results Wizard opens, allowing you to import network elements into SAM. Discovered servers (that is, nodes) do not count against node-based licensing; only servers that you import into the Orion database count against your license.
When you run Discovery manually, the system automatically selects all network elements to be monitored. You must clear the check boxes for elements you do not want monitored. This example highlights Windows devices with IIS.
Before you begin, ensure that you discover your servers and applications.
If discovering your network for the first time, SolarWinds recommends monitoring a small number of critical servers.
- Make sure that only the device types you want to monitor are selected, and click Next.
After Discovery, if the status of a node is Unknown, you may need to check settings in SolarWinds NPM. See Troubleshoot Unknown Nodes.
- Ensure the interfaces you want to monitor are selected, and click Next.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not monitor WAN, QoS, multi-port, and virtual NIC interfaces.
SolarWinds SAM only discovers interfaces on WMI nodes.
- Ensure the volume types you want to monitor are selected, and click Next.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not monitor compact disks and removable disks.
- Select the applications to monitor, and click Next.
In this example, Microsoft IIS is selected and will be configured for monitoring.
- Review the list of elements to be imported, and click Import.
- On the Results tab, click Finish.
- Click My Dashboards > SAM Summary.
The SAM Summary view widgets may take several minutes to populate with data.