Adjust data aggregation settings
Aggregating NetFlow data in memory significantly reduces the I/O demands that SolarWinds NTA makes on your Orion database, which can increase the performance of all SolarWinds applications that share the database. If Web Console resources are allowed to work directly against the Orion database in making and presenting their latest calculations without aggregation, SolarWinds NPM would make big I/O demands on the Orion database. This would impact performance of both SolarWinds NTA and SolarWinds NPM.
By aggregating data before writing it to the SolarWinds Orion database, SolarWinds NTA software expedites the presentation of summary statistics for three of the most important kinds of information about traffic on your network: Top XX Applications, Top XX Endpoints, and Top XX Conversations.
Data aggregation is possible only if you are using SolarWinds NTA
By aggregating data before writing it to the SolarWinds Orion database, SolarWinds NTA expedites the presentation of summary statistics for three of the most important kinds of information about traffic on your network: Top XX Applications, Top XX Endpoints, and Top XX Conversations.
To turn on data aggregation settings:
Go to NetFlow Settings:
- Click My Dashboards > NetFlow > NTA Summary.
- Click NetFlow Settings in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to Database Settings and configure the Data Aggregation options as follows:
- Check Enable Aggregation of Top Talker Data.
- Enter how many of the following Orion should aggregate NetFlow data for:
- Top Applications
- Top Endpoints
- Top Conversations
- Enter the number of hours SolarWinds NTA should save aggregated NetFlow data in cache.
- Click Save.
Optimize aggregation by displaying the items you entered above when you activated aggregation. For example, if you entered 10 Top Conversations for which to aggregate data, you should display up to 10 Top Conversations. Displaying more conversations would require loading more data than is cached and would slow performance.
To set the optimal number of data elements:
- Click Edit from a Top XX Applications, Endpoints, or Conversations pane.
- On the Edit Resource page, enter the Maximum Number of Items to Display. This number should match the number you entered for this resource when you activated data aggregation in the procedure above.
- Click Submit.