NPM 12.2 Release Notes
Release Date: September 13, 2017
Updated: October 24, 2017
These release notes describe the new features, improvements, and fixed issues in SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor 12.2. They also provide information about upgrades and describe workarounds for known issues.
For NPM environment requirements, see NPM 12.2 System Requirements.
Download NPM 12.2 hotfixes from the Customer Portal:
- New features and improvements
- New customer installation
- Before you upgrade!
- How to upgrade
- Fixed issues
- Known issues
- End of life, end of support, deprecation notices
- Legal notices
Read this section for descriptions of the new features and improvements NPM offers in this release, or compare NPM 12.2 with previous releases of NPM.
NPM 12.2 is an Orion Platform product, and consumes Orion Platform 2017.3.
Network Insight for Cisco ASA firewalls
Monitor your Cisco ASA firewalls with NPM - monitor VPN tunnels, and get the basic visibility for troubleshooting tunnels with issues. Use NPM to understand the health of the platform, including power supplies or High Availability status.
- Site-to-site VPN tunnel monitoring including tunnel status, bandwidth usage, and phase completion.
- Remote access VPN including user session history.
- High Availability including failover readiness and failover detection.
You can integrate Network Insight for ASAs with NCM to see what access lists are applied to individual interfaces and review the access lists.
Orion Platform 2017.3 features
Use the SolarWinds Orion Installer to install and upgrade one or more Orion Platform products simultaneously in your environment. When installing new products into an existing Orion environment, the Orion Installer verifies compatibility between the product versions and notifies you if additional steps are needed. The Orion Installer also supports upgrades from older versions of the software with a generated upgrade path, merging the capabilities of the Product Upgrade Advisor into the installer.
- .NET 4.6 is required to use the new installer and will be downloaded when you run the installer. Do not stop the installation after installing .NET 4.6 due to compatibility issues with older versions of SolarWinds software. A reboot may be required after installing .NET.
- To eliminate compatibility issues, all required Orion Platform products are upgraded when you complete the Orion Installer.
- Installs or upgrades all products from a single screen. You do not need to download files for each product.
- Provides an easy-to-follow install path when required. If you upgrade from an older product version, the installer provides upgrade paths custom-made for your current environment so you can complete complex upgrades and installations with ease.
- Runs preflight checks to ensure your environment specifications match the system requirements for selected product installs. If changes are needed, the installer provides guidance for required versions.
- Automatically starts the Configuration Wizard as needed after product installs to complete database and configuration tasks.
Search from your global navigation
Search for your nodes, interfaces, or volumes by their display name or IP address directly from the global navigation bar at the top of every page. The last five searches you perform are saved so you can quickly run frequent search queries. Further refine your results through filters on the search results page.
Dashboards and widgets
The new Customize Page significantly simplifies and streamlines how you build your dashboards or views. Drag and drop resources, now known as widgets, exactly where you want them on your page, including on to blank areas to create new columns.
- Start searching for widgets in two clicks from any customizable page.
- Mark favorite widgets so you can quickly add them to new dashboards or pages.
- Drag and drop widgets directly on to the pages or move widgets to new locations.
Windows Authentication for SQL
Secure the connection between your Orion server and your SQL server
Increase your security compliance by using Windows authentication for both day-to-day data storage and retrieval between your Orion server and your SQL server and during the initial setup of your database server in the Configuration Wizard.
Do not use a Windows account with a password policy applied.
You can also enable SSL directly in the Configuration Wizard to encrypt the information exchanged between your Orion server or additional polling engines and your SQL server, independent of SSL settings on your SQL server.
SSL must be configured on your SQL server to utilize this feature.
SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups in a MultiSubnet Failover configuration
Leverage MS SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups in your HA configuration so your database is also highly available and disaster recoverable.
Multi-subnet High Availability
Distribute HA pool members to different subnets in this new update to SolarWinds High Availability for near instantaneous, automated failover to a secondary server on a different subnet. Create an HA pool , update your secondary server, and activate HA in your current Orion environment just as easily as before.
Get both broad and in-depth visibility into your environment by correlating disparate data points across your infrastructure, including on-premise, cloud, and hybrid environments, in easy-to-read charts.
This version of PerfStack™:
- Includes Real-Time Polling at approximately one second intervals for selected metrics.
- Increases the number of supported metrics and products
- Lets you view the data behind supported charts with the Data Explorer.
- Enables Drag and drop entities to the chart area.
- Can open an analysis project directly from an entity with common metrics already added.
- Lets you access the details page for an entity from the Performance Analysis dashboard.
The new Manage Entities page presents information about your nodes in a more intuitive fashion, including filtering options and contextual management options.
- Search your entities using the display name or IP address.
- Sort entities by display name, status, or IP address.
- Quickly view which nodes are muted and resume alerts with one click.
- Add more information by editing the rows
- Deploy Orion agents to Raspberry Pi (Raspbian version 8.0 on ARMv6 or ARMv7 processors, 32-bit). If you upgrade to this version, you can install any Linux agent plug-ins on Rasberry Pi devices.
- Improved memory performance.
This version changes the system requirements. .NET 4.6.2 is required and Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 are no longer supported for installations.
If you are upgrading from a previous version, be aware of the following considerations:
- To gain enhanced visibility into Cisco ASAs for devices already monitored in NPM, provide CLI credentials and enable ASA pollers for the devices.
Use the SolarWinds Orion Installer to upgrade one or more Orion Platform products simultaneously.
NPM 12.2 fixes the following issues.
|Hardware health: sensors are grouped correctly by category.|
|NetPath: Store traceroute Poller failed message does not occur any more|
|NetPath: "Unable to access the requested graph. An unexpected error occurred." does not occur any more.|
|NetPath: Errors when accessing NetPath services do not occur any more.|
|Interface downtime graph shows correct information.|
|Cisco SwitchStack events are generated correctly.|
|Interface Last Changed correctly reflects when an interface goes down.|
|Routing table contains correct data.|
|MSMQ directory does not grow in size any more|
|When an F5 node moves to an additional polling engine in another country, F5 polling works correctly.|
|Enumerations for UnDPs are imported successfully.|
See also Orion Platform 2017.3 Release Notes.
Different interface indices after remap
Issue: Interface indices are maintained in both the Interfaces table and the NPM_Routing table of the SolarWinds database. Because these tables are polled on different polling intervals, the same interface may have different indices in each table as interfaces are remapped on independent polling intervals.
Custom F5 alerts and reports stop working after upgrade
Issue: After the upgrade to NPM 12.1 and later, custom F5 alerts and reports might stop working because the database structure changed.
Work-around: Review the out-of-the box alerts and reports, and if none match your customized alerts and reports, re-create the F5 alerts and reports.
See End of Life Policy for information about end of life and end of engineering for SolarWinds products.
|EoL Announcements||EoE Effective Dates||EoL Effective Dates|
|March 15, 2017
End-of-Life (EoL) announcement – Customers on NPM version 11.0.x should begin transitioning to the latest version of NPM.
|June 15, 2017
End-of-Engineering (EoE) – Service releases, bug fixes, workarounds, and service packs for NPM version 11.0.x will no longer be actively supported by SolarWinds.
June 15, 2018
End-of-Life (EoL) – SolarWinds will no longer provide technical support for NPM version 11.0.x.
See Currently supported software versions for more information.
End of Support
For information about supported versions of SolarWinds products, see this article.
|Microsoft SQL Server||
SQL 2008 and 2008 R2 are no longer supported as your database server as of this release.
SolarWinds recommends that you upgrade directly to SQL 2016 at your earliest convenience.
|Microsoft Windows Server||
You cannot install SolarWinds Orion products on Windows Server 2008 R2 as of this release.
SolarWinds recommends that you upgrade to Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016 at your earliest convenience.
|Export to PDF feature||
The Export to PDF button is no longer available.
SolarWinds recommends that you use the Save as PDF functionality built into your browser.
Deprecation indicates that the feature should be avoided. Deprecated features remain in the software, but will be removed in a future release. Customizations applied to a deprecated feature may not be migrated if a new feature replaces the deprecated one.
This version deprecates the following hardware, software, and features.
|All Active Alerts resource||
The current All Active Alerts resources is deprecated. The resource is replaced with a new, enhanced widget. You can continue to use the deprecated, legacy resource.
(Availability, Min/Max/Average, Percent Loss, etc.)
|Most pre-configured resources are deprecated as of this release. The resources will be compressed into single, configurable widget in a future release.|
|Last XX resources||Pre-configured Last XX resources are deprecated as of this release. They will be replaced with a single, configurable widget in a future release.|
The current Managed Nodes page is deprecated as of this release. A new version is available, but you can continue to use the legacy page.
SolarWinds recommends migrating to the new Managed Nodes page at your earliest convenience.
|Customize Views||The Customize View page is deprecated as of this release. Functionality is migrating to the Customize Page feature.|
(legacy search, search on thwack, search for nodes, etc.)
|All search resources are deprecated as of this release. Use the integrated search in the global navigation.|
© 2017 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds and its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION FURNISHED HEREUNDER INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds and other SolarWinds marks, identified on the SolarWinds website, as updated from SolarWinds from time to time and incorporated herein, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks may be common law marks or registered or pending registration in the United States or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks contained and/or mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.