Create a NetPath probe in NPM
NetPath™ services are monitored by probes. Orion automatically installs a probe on each polling engine, and you can install a probe on any Windows computer. No other software is required on the path.
A probe is the source you are testing from. It is always the start of the path. Think of a probe as a representative of a user. SolarWinds recommends deploying probes where you have users, for example at each of your office locations.
The probe must be a Windows computer.
Create a probe
You can create a probe when you create a service, or while assigning an additional probe after you create the service:
- Click My Dashboards > Network > NetPath Services.
- Click next to an entry in the NetPath Services list.
- Click Create New Probe.
- Enter the required information on the Create New Probe window.
Enter the credentials that can be used to log in to the computer and install the software.
- Click Create.
- Select the probe from the list.
- Click Assign.
Assign additional probes
Click next to an entry in the NetPath™ Services list to assign another probe to the service.
If you are creating a probe on an existing Orion Agent, you must enter the primary polling IP address used by Orion for that device.
Check the probe status
If you have other issues with probe deployment, you can check the probe status.
Probes are listed in the Manage Agents section of Agent Management. The NetPath™ probe relies on the Agent infrastructure built into Orion and used for things like QoE and SAM Agents. NetPath™ is an additional plugin in this agent framework.
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under Node & Group Management, click Manage Agents.
- Locate the probe in the Agent/Node list by its host name, and select it.
- Verify the Agent Status is Running, and that the Connection Status is Connected.
- Click More Actions > View installed agent plugins.
- Verify the NetPath™ Agent Plugin is installed.
You can also click Edit Settings to change the configuration of the probe, or Delete to remove it.