Add a single node for monitoring
As an alternative to using the Network Sonar Discovery wizard, you can add individual nodes for monitoring.
Adding a single node offers more detail in monitoring and is the recommended approach when you have a node with high latency. Do not include nodes with high latency in a discovery job.
As you add a single node for monitoring, you can:
- Select the statistics and resources to monitor.
- Add Universal Device Pollers.
- Identify how often the node status, monitored statistics, or topology details are updated.
- Add custom properties.
- Edit alert thresholds.
To add a single node for monitoring:
- Log in to the Orion Web Console as an administrator.
- Click Settings > Manage Nodes, and then click Add a Node.
- Specify the node, and click Next.
- Provide the host name or IP address.
- Select the polling method, and provide credentials.
- Select the statistics and resources to monitor on the node, and click Next.
- If you want to monitor a special metric on the node and have defined the metric using a custom poller, select the poller on the Add Pollers pane, and click Next.
- Review and adjust the device properties.
- To edit the SNMP settings, change the values, and click Test.
- To edit how often the node status, monitored statistics, or topology details are updated, change the values in the Polling area.
For critical nodes, you may need to poll status information or collect statistics more frequently than the default polling intervals.
Change the polling intervals if polling the nodes takes too long.
- Enter values for custom properties for the node.
The Custom Properties area will be empty if you have not defined any custom properties for the monitored nodes.
- To adjust when the status of the node changes to Warning or Critical, edit alerting thresholds for the metric. Select the Override box and set thresholds specific for the node.
- Click OK, Add Node.
The node will be monitored according to the options you set.