Test a filter or an action
Before enabling a rule, test the filters or actions to make sure they work as intended.
Use the Test button on the filter or action setup dialog
At the bottom of the action or filter setup dialog, click Test Setup.
- The Test message dialog displays the values that are passed to the filter or action when you perform the test.
- If necessary, change these inputs to match the values you are filtering for.
A green check mark next to the Test button indicates that the filter or action passed the test.
Use the Kiwi SyslogGen utility
You can test filters and actions using Kiwi SyslogGen, a free utility that generates and sends syslog messages. You can specify message properties such as priority, message text, and sending IP address.
- Go to www.kiwisyslog.com/downloads.aspx and download Kiwi SyslogGen.
- Install Kiwi SyslogGen on the computer where Kiwi Syslog Server is installed.
- Use Kiwi SyslogGen to generate messages that meet the filter criteria, and verify that the results are what you intended.