Before you begin, consider what tasks the user must perform, what views and menu bars are most suitable, and what type of account to use.
Supported account types:
- Orion individual account
- Windows individual or group account (you can use Active Directory or local domain accounts)
- SAML individual or group account
Users created using default settings can log in to the Orion Web Console and see information available in views, resources, and reports. For administration and customization tasks, users need extra rights.
(Select Yes for this option or do as instructed)
Add and edit user accounts and reset passwords.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not allow users to change their own Orion Web Console account passwords.
|Allow Administrator Rights|
|Add, edit, and delete nodes.||Allow Node Management Rights|
|Enable/disable monitoring elements.||Allow Account to Unmanage Objects|
|Add, edit, schedule, and delete reports.||Allow Report Management Rights|
|Add, edit, and delete alerts.||
Allow Alert Management Rights
To only allow some actions, keep No in Allow Alert Management rights and Allow items in the Alerts section as appropriate.
SolarWinds does not recommend enabling Alert Management Rights when a user account is set to expire. When the account expires, any alert the account created will behave erratically.
|Customize views.||Allow Account to Customize Views|
|Access only a set of devices (type, location, department, and so on).||Click Add Limitation and define the limitation.|
- Log in to the Orion Web Console, and click Settings > All Settings.
- Click Manage Accounts in the User Accounts grouping, and click Add New Account on the Individual Accounts tab.
- Select Orion individual account, and click Next.
- Provide the account credentials, and click Next.
- On Define Settings, provide rights so that the user can perform assigned tasks, select default views and menu bars, and then click Submit.
The user account is listed in the Individual Accounts tab.
See Define what users can access and do for information about assigning rights to users.
See Define what SolarWinds Site data a user can access for information about limiting the SolarWinds Site data a user can access.
Users can use their existing Active Directory credentials to log in to the Orion Web Console, so you do not need to manage an extra user account.
- You must enable Windows Account Login in the Orion Web Console.
- Click Settings > All Settings, and in Product Specific Settings, click Web Console Settings.
- In Windows Account Login, select Enable automatic login, and click Submit.
- To maintain administrative privileges, individual and group Windows user accounts must be defined in the same domain as the SolarWinds server they can access.
- Only Security AD groups are supported. Distribution Groups are not supported.
Log in to Orion Web Console, and click Settings > All Settings.
Click Manage Accounts in the User Accounts grouping, and click Add New Account.
Select Windows individual account or Windows group account, and click Next.
Provide the credentials for an account with administrative access to the Active Directory or local domain, and click Next.
If a system account is available, you can use it. Select Use [Account Name] account to access Active Directory or Local Domain, and click Test Active Directory.
- You may need to specify the credentials manually.
- This option is not available when LDAP is enabled. You must specify credentials manually.
To specify the credentials manually, select Specify credentials to access the Active Directory or Local Domain, and provide the credentials.
Search for the Active Directory or local domain account.
To search for all users or groups in the domain, enter
domain name\*and click Search.
Select the appropriate users in the Add Users area, and click Next.
On Define Settings, provide rights so that the user can perform assigned tasks, select default views and menu bars, and then click Submit.
Users can now log in to the Orion Web Console using their local domain or Active Directory credentials.
If you use Active Directory, users can also automatically login with their Windows credentials.