Troubleshooting environmental issues with Performance Analysis dashboards
Create analysis projects with the Performance Analysis (PerfStack™) dashboard. Analysis projects visually correlate time series data, both historical and current, from multiple SolarWinds products and entity types in a single view. This allows you to:
- Troubleshoot issues in real-time.
- Create ad-hoc reports.
- Identify root causes of intermittent issues.
- Make data-driven decisions on infrastructure changes.
Drag and drop performance metrics, events, and log data from multiple device types to a chart to perform deep analysis of what was going on in your environment when the issue occurred, including real-time polling for issues you're experiencing now. You can mix and match metrics from data collected across multiple SolarWinds products for both broad and in-depth insight to your infrastructure.
For example, you could identify an issue in your application that causes disk I/O to spike and slowdowns if you collect SRM and SAM data. After your project is built, share the troubleshooting project with other members of your team for remediation.
Compatible SolarWinds products
Performance Analysis is most useful in correlating performance data when multiple SolarWinds products are installed.
Correlate data from the following SolarWinds products:
- NPM 12.1 or later
- SAM 6.4 or later
- VIM 7.1 or later (VMAN integrated with Orion)
- NTA 4.2.2 or later
- SRM 6.4 or later
- WPM 2.2.1 or later
- EOC 2.0 or later
- NCM 7.7 or later (Configuration changes)
- VNQM 4.4.1 or later (IPSLA operations)
If you have at least one of these products installed together on the same server, you can access Performance Analysis dashboards. However, you may not be able to use all collected metrics if you pull data from older product versions.
Some data are either not available or partially available in the Performance Analysis dashboard, such as data from the following:
For a more complete list, see SolarWinds KB MT85165.
Create analysis projects
The entities and metrics you can add to your analysis project depends on the SolarWinds products installed on your Orion server.
- Metrics marked with a rocket ship can collect real-time metrics.
- The data line may not fully extend to the right of the chart because it is based on the last polling time.
- Depending on your account limitations, you may not have access to all available data, metrics, or entities. However, all users can create Performance Analysis troubleshooting projects.
Create analysis projects from the Performance Analysis dashboard
Click My Dashboards > Home > Performance Analysis.
If you customize your dashboards, Performance Analysis might not be in the menu bar. Click Settings > All Settings > User Accounts > Edit and note what you use for HomeTab Menu bar. Click My Dashboards > Configure, and add Performance Analysis to the menu bar you used in HomeTab Menu bar.
You can add a key entity and then add all other related entities. Hover over the entity in the metric palette and click the Add related icon.
Select an entity and choose metrics to drag to the dashboard. You can also drag and drop an entity directly to the charts.
Create analysis projects from the entity details page
Open an analysis project directly from the manage resource on your details page. This opens a project with relevant metrics from the entity already charted. For example, key metrics for node entities include:
- Average CPU Load
- Aerage Percent Memory Used
- Average Response Time
Metrics that are not collected for an entity are not added.
- Open the details page to an entity.
- Click Performance Analyzer on the Management resource.
You can add more metrics or metrics from related entities.
This is supported for nodes, interfaces, IPSLA operations, clusters, datastores, hosts, VMs, LUNs, SRM pools, storage arrays, volumes, cloud instances, and SAM applications.
Update charts in real-time (Real-Time Polling)
Metrics with rocket ships next to them can utilize high frequency polling, one second apart, to update their charts. You can have both real-time metrics and regular metrics in your project. You can only have 10 real-time pollable metrics in your project. If you have 11, Real-Time Polling cannot start. Your project has a 10 minute window of real-time metrics.
- You may not have the option to poll entities in real-time. This option is controlled through individual account settings and is based on the version of Orion Platform your installation runs on. Orion Platform version 2017.3 includes this option. EOC installations do not have this option.
- You can poll up to 30 unique metrics across all user accounts in real-time. After this limit is reached, a warning message displays.
- When you stop Real-Time Polling, the metrics will continue to poll at the accelerated pace for two minutes before stopping.
- Real-Time Polling does not affect normal polling intervals.
Click Start Real-Time Polling in the toolbar.
All real-time enabled metrics in your analysis dashboard begin to poll the entities approximately every second. When the rocket ship icon flashes, Real-Time Polling has started. The icon stops flashing when data from the first poll is returned.
View the polled data for a plotted metric
This is available for Syslog, SNMP Traps, Events, Alerts, and Configuration changes on installations running on Orion Platform version 2017.3.
Click and drag a selection on a chart, and click on the icon with the magnifying glass.
The Data Explorer tab opens with the data that for the chart within the time frame you select. Use the Filters menu or the search bar to further reduce the visible data.
Modify the time range for all charts
You can set absolute, relative, or custom time ranges simultaneously across all charts in your troubleshooting project at the top of the dashboard.
Click and drag to select a time range on a chart and zoom in or out using the hover menu. Click the X button to cancel the selection and return focus to the entire chart area.
View more information for an entity
Open the entity details page directly from the analysis project to view more information, such as MAC addresses or model numbers. Hover over the entity in the metric palette and click the link icon.
Share analysis projects
Click the Share button in your analysis dashboard to copy the project's URL to your clipboard. Share the URL so others can:
- Use the projects as-is and have the same data to troubleshoot issues.
- Modify the project and sent the URL back to you.
- Save it to their own Performance Analysis dashboard by clicking More > Save As.
- Add the project to a menu bar.
For example, you may use a troubleshooting project to identify the root cause of an issue you are experiencing and send the URL in a help desk ticket for a technician to view, or you may share it with members of your team to refine your diagnoses or use as a troubleshooting tool.
You can send the URL to anyone with access to the Orion Web Console. When a person views the troubleshooting project, all node access limitations are applied.
View your saved analysis projects
Click Load at the top of the dashboard to open your most recently used projects, or search for your saved projects. You can only view projects that you have created or saved, and you cannot save a project with Real-Time Polling enabled. You must manually turn Real-Time Polling on when loading a project.
Delete analysis projects
Click More > Delete to remove a project. You can only delete projects you have created. If a user creates a project and is removed from the SolarWinds user list, the projects that user saved are not removed from the server.
If you delete a troubleshooting project that you have shared with others, you are only deleting your copy.